<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: My First Lesson

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, July 24, 2009

My First Lesson

I just got home from my first horseback riding lesson. It was so great. I brought a friend along who rides and she took pictures while I rode. My friend has been riding for 11 years and said she thought I was a natural! I took that as a big compliment.

I made the mistake of working out this morning, so my legs are killing me. English riding takes a lot of control and leg strength. It's not like western, where you just kinda sit there. My legs were shaking by the end of my lesson.


That's a balance exercise, you trot and hold your arms out and in various positions while riding. 



That's me with my horse, Ginger.  Well, she a school horse, not mine, but she is who I will be riding for a little while.  She likes to do things in her own time.  I had to really push her to keep working.  She kept trying to leave the arena.  LOL.  She was reluctant to really work, but was super sweet and easy to ride.  

It didn't get tricky until I began to trot.  That's right, my teacher said I had ridden enough and was doing well enough to learn to trot right away.  Ginger really didn't want to trot in the heat, so I really had to nudge her along.  Let me tell you, trotting it tricky.  You have to keep your whole body straight and upward, while keeping your feet back, posting (which is sorta standin up on the stirrups), moving your hips forward, while keeping your heels down and keeping your calfs against the side of the horse.  Not as easy as it sounds.  You want to sit down, lean forward, push on the balls of your feet and push your feet out, away from the horse so that your calfs are in the air, not next to the horse.  It was hard to do it all at once, plus... it hurt!  My muscles are not in shape for that. 



But I was getting the hang of it.  It was so much fun.  I was sweating profusely by the end of the lesson.  It was hard work, but I really got the hang of my horse.  She started listening to me and we really began to get some good riding done.

 I can't wait until my lesson next week.  I'll be jumping in no time!  And my friend said she want to bring her horse out and start riding with me during my lessons!  That will be so much fun!

She said she would come again and get some video of my riding, so I'll be sure to post that as soon as I have it.

I love horseback riding!

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha the ArmyWife said...

I've always had an affection for horses, and riding. Ginger is beautiful!

July 24, 2009 at 6:13 PM  
Blogger My Army Brats and Me said...

My girls love to ride. As for me do not feel comfortable at all. The girls use to complain about their legs hurting also. Their trainer taught them to ride and guide with their legs and not their hands. Hope your next lesson is great.

July 25, 2009 at 7:58 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home