<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: A little late

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

A little late

So I realize that, in the midst of my insomnia, I didn't post anything about the Fourth Of July.

I'm a bad military wife!

Well here it is...

I love our country. Though I often joke that I'm going to move to Canada, the truth is, I love being an American and wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

That being said, the Fourth totally bummed me out. It's my husbands favorite holiday. Obviously, he is a patriot, but he also loves to blow stuff up. It's sorta our special day. I'm not big on fireworks, but I support his love of them.

Days like Memorial Day and the Fourth are reminders that some of them don't come home. They remind me of all the men who are willing to give their lives for my freedoms. I feel very lucky to live in a country protected by people like my husband. Too often, they are over looked. People take their freedoms for granted these days. But I live in a world that is a constant reminder of those who fought, and died to give me mine. I live in a world where each day is a blessing. Each day, I thank God that my husband has survived again. I thank God that so did his men. I do not take my freedoms for granted.

I don't care about your opinions of the war. I do not have the luxury of opinions. My husband has to fight whether I agree or not. My husband is at war, regardless of how I feel about the president or 9/11. Opinions have no place in my life. I do however appreciate thanks. This life is not an easy one. I spend a lot of time away from my husband. This is likely only my first deployment, not my last. And it's nice to know that people out there appreciate our sacrifice.

The Fourth of July is celebrated because we fought for our freedoms. We have a military to protect and uphold those freedoms and I feel privileged that our military is a voluntary service. We do not force these men and women to protect our country, they choose to. I feel honored that there are people in this world who are willing to do that for me.

So, remember that the next time you are angry at congress. Or the next time the president does something you don't like. You have the freedom to disagree. That freedom is protected by our military, one that is voluntary and those men and women are willing to die to uphold that freedom... even though they have never met you, even if you are a jerk, even if you disagree with their politics, or dislike the government, or even dislike the military. They don't care. They believe in your freedom to feel that way and are willing to die so that you don't have to.

The Fourth bums me out because it's a day that reminds me of all of that. I will never be able to look at the fireworks with the same ignorance that I did as a child. It will always mean something more to me. And it will bum me out each time my husband has to miss it. He is the ultimate patriot.

Oh and by the way, he got gypped on the Fourth. The Marine Corps was supposed to give all the men two beers. Actual, alcoholic beers to celebrate the day and to thank them for serving. But at the last minute, they changed their minds and decided not to. After promising for a few weeks, they took it away. How crappy was that!? All they got was a cake.

So there is my semi-patriotic rant and pity party about Independence Day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home