<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: A job offer

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A job offer

My vet clinic might offer me a job. They need someone to work Saturdays and I only want to work one day a week. It's a perfect union.

Before you call me a hypocrite, let me explain a few things.

One, sterile procedure is important, but I guess there are things that can be fudged. We are taught the best, most ideal, most sterile way to do things in school. But many practices do things the way my practice does and, apparently, that is ok too. I didn't know that. But there are things that are ideal, that aren't always done in the real world. No animals are harmed, or put at risk, so it's ok to bend the rules.

Two, there are still two Vet assistants doing the job of Vet Techs. This is illegal and unethical. I, however, have not been forced to do any of these things. I simply say, "I don't think I'm legally allowed to do that, " and that seems to be ok. No arguments. I will not jeopardize my future career by doing something illegal. If I am asked to, I will refuse, if they insist, I will quit... Simple as that.

It's a good opportunity and I would be foolish to turn it down. The vet industry is not being hit as hard as other industries, but the economy is down. Many people are being forced into part time work to save money. That means the field is flooded with experienced people looking for more work. That makes it hard for someone like me, who is new to the field, to find work. Plus, it will be hard to find someone willing to work around my school schedule. I only want to work one day a week during school.

I need the experience to find a better job later. Ethically ambiguous, yes, but a good opportunity none the less.

I'm worried I won't be able to find anything else.

I haven't been offered the job yet. Today, there was discussion of it and it sounded like they want to. The techs I work with have been hinting to the head doc that they want me to be hired. But we will see. I may be thinking about this for nothing.

3 Comments:

Blogger jeanette said...

Well it sounds like you have it all figured out, so if you do get the offer, congrats!

July 9, 2009 at 3:25 AM  
Blogger Margaret said...

I hope you get hired!

July 9, 2009 at 10:09 AM  
Blogger the girl with the pink teacup said...

Way to go, Erin. It sounds like a great opportunity and I'm sure you'll find a way to work through the ethical issues. You've got a level head and a good brain - hope it all works out for you!

July 9, 2009 at 10:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home