<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Heat Wave

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Heat Wave

It's official. It's a heat wave.

In the Seattle area, of which I am still considered even though I live 45 minutes away, we rarely reach the high 90's for weather. 85 is a hot day and 90 might as well be hell. But we have had a streak of mid to high 90 degree weather for a few days now and there is no end in sight. Today, we broke the all time heat record by two degrees coming in at 102 degrees. That goes all the way back to the 1890's, so it's kinda a big deal around here. Our little record and the heat wave even made the front page of CNN.com.

It's miserable. My house stays cool. And by cool, I mean that it is 91 degrees in my living room while it is 102 outside. So I count that as staying cool, though I suppose it's not really. We Seattlites are not accustom to this weather. We do mild weather here. Not too cold in the winter and not too hot in the summer. That's not really true where I live. I live in a convergence zone. So I get super cold in the winter and also get like three feet of snow a day. But for the sake of being in the "Seattle Area" I will tell you about Seattle.

If it snows an inch in Seattle, the whole city shuts down. (That is not an exaggeration.  Seattle only gets like one or two inches of snow at at time.)  Seattle is one, giant, 90 degree angled hill. You get used to driving it, and it's crazy slopes, but imagine that in snow and ice. I don't think so. So the whole area just shuts down. Lucky for us, it only snows a few days a winter and often melts by the next day. Fall and Spring are basically the same thing. It's muggy and rains everyday. I, personally, love it. I have been to places with nicer climates and I can't stand it. I can't do sunshine everyday, all day long. Even now, in our heat wave, it has rained twice. I can't live without the rain. It's like my brain dries out and won't function. I need to be soggy.

I love summer in Seattle, because it's comfortable. Usually. Yes, we do have 90% humidity here. It's like walking through water, but you get used to being sticky. I wish it were dry heat we got. Dry heat is so much more bearable. I have been to Las Vegas during 115 degree weather and let me tell you, that is so much nicer than 80 degrees with 80% humidity. But, usually, it's like 75 all summer long. A handful of 90 degree days, with a month or so of 80 degree weather and that's about it. Perfect.

This heat wave is killing me. It's too hot to go outside. To sticky to move or cook. My poor dog is just sprawled out on the couch, in front of the fan, sleeping. She's too hot to play.

Where I live, we get hot. A few more days of hot weather than Seattle, anyway, but not too much. Then, in the winter, I get buckets of snow. I hate to drive in the snow, and our town is so small that they only plow the highway, so you can't get anywhere. But I love to sit at home and watch the snow flake cover our little courtyard. I love the mild temps during fall. And I love the rain during spring. I couldn't live somewhere that had definitive seasons. That's too much of a change for me. Seattle doesn't really have seasons. We have summer from July to August and the rest of the year is the rainy season.

So here I am, in the middle of a heat wave, that has no end in sight and I am stuck. I can't go do anything... I spent all of my spending cash already, so trying to see a movie in an air conditioned theater is out. I have a fan blowing on me. My little dog napping next to me and a bottle of frozen water that is rapidly thawing.

I don't know how all you people live in the heat in the rest of this country. That's just not me. I want my temperate climate back. If I wanted nicer weather, I would move. If I needed sunshine, I would move. LOL. But I don't. I'm a Seattlite through and through.

I can't take this heat.

Next year, I'm putting in central air conditioning.  LOL.

This is a little video of how pups is doing in the heat. She seems really miserable.

2 Comments:

Blogger Samantha the ArmyWife said...

My in-laws are all in the Portland area and have been complaining about the heat wave too!!! How miserable! =(

July 29, 2009 at 5:41 PM  
Blogger Margaret said...

Its so weird that all of you in the Northwest are getting such a heatwave. Down in So Cal its assumed but I can't believe my in laws in Salem, OR are getting over 90 degree weather and Seattle.

Here in Monterey the highest its gotten is 75. Move here:)

July 31, 2009 at 10:43 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home