<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: A Year of LIving Biblically

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Year of LIving Biblically

I was recently asked to start reviewing books on my blog. This may be because I read too much, or it may be my great taste in books... I don't know. Probably the first thing. I don't think I have great taste in books. However, it was an interesting idea, and I love to hear about new books, so I decided to give it a try.

The first book I will be telling you about is: A Year of Living Biblically: One Mans Humble Quest to Follow the Bible as Literally as Possible.

This is a great book. One of the best books I have read in a long time. A J Jacobs is as insightful as he is honest.

Though born Jewish, Jacobs has no real faith and does not practice his religion. He is married and has a young son. I believe he is three during this book. He is a stay at home dad, who decides to live the bible as literally as possible. He reads the old testament and writes down all the rules. I mean all of them, even the out dated and not practiced rules, there are over 700 of them. It would be impossible for him to live them all simultaneously, so he works on a few at at time adding them to his list as he goes. He does things like, not cutting the corners of his hair, he grows a mountain man beard and wears all cotton. The last one is something about not wearing blending fabrics... Who knew!? He prays every day and partakes in some pretty out there rituals. There's one about slaughtering chickens, but you have to wave them over your head first or something weird like that. (honestly, it's been a few months since I read the book, so I'm not wholly accurate)

My favorite part of the books is when he stones an adulterer. I won't give away the story, but suffice it to say, it is a hilarious anecdote. I have told that story a hundred times and it always gets a laugh.

He doesn't set out to destroy religion. He is not trying to prove that it's out dated or that it is silly. He is simply trying to see if he can live the bible literally. He is actually quite respectful of religion during this whole process. He even has a religions/spiritual council that he confers with. It's made up of priests, rabbis and reverends.

I haven't laughed so hard at a book in a really long time. He is so funny.

This is actually a follow up book to his first best seller titled, Know It All: One Mans Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World. In this book he spends a year reading the entire Encyclopedia Britannica. I haven't read it, but I just bought it and will post a review of it when I'm done.

If any of you choose to read this book, Please comment and let me know. I would love to hear your thoughts! (even if you don't like it)

1 Comments:

Blogger the girl said...

Hi Erin -

Sorry I was so slow to comment on this one :(

Loved your book review - you managed to sum up so many aspects of what made the book special for you in such an easy-to-read way. Well done!

Oh and this:

He does things like, not cutting the corners of his hair, he grows a mountain man beard and wears all cotton. The last one is something about not wearing blending fabrics... Who knew!?

made me crack up laughing so much. I've reserved the book at my local library (it's on loan until the 20th of July, though!), but once I get through it I'll let you know what I thought.

Lots of love

June 30, 2009 at 7:14 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home