<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: I lost a patient today :(

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

I lost a patient today :(

I started my Vet Tech externship yesterday.

It has all be going really well. I have done two blood draws and got them both on the second try, pretty good for a newbie. I am also checking patients in all by myself. I'm learning so much! The head doc quizes me all the time and I'm getting better about answering correctly. At first it was hard to be put on the spot, but I'm getting used to it now. And all the girls I work with are great. They have really taken me under their wing and are great teachers.

Today was a sad day though. We work with greyhound rescues. We had a really sweet greyhound in for a spay and dental cleaning (both procedures require the dog to be under anesthesia) . Her surgery took a really long time because we have a new doctor and she is fresh out of school. The surgery went great. Jojos (the greyhound) vitals were nice and strong.

We moved her into the treatment room to do the dental. Her heart rate was super strong, but her breath rate decreased. I voiced my concern, but was told that it was normal for greyhounds to have a really, super low breath rates when under. After a little while it dropped even lower. I was really nervous and concerned so I voiced my concern to the tech and the new doc. They assured me it was ok and that I should breath for her every now and then, but that it would be fine.

We finished the dental and took her back to her kennel for recovery. While we were monitoring her, we notice she wasn't breathing at all. I stayed with her while the other tech went and got the head doctor. While she was gone, the whole 30 seconds, Jojo's heart rate slowed and her pulse got really weak. By the time the doctor got there, there was no pulse at all. We did CPR and gave her epinephrine, but it didn't do any good. She died right there.

It all happened so fast! I couldn't believe it. She went from fine to dead in one minute. I felt horrible. Like I should have been more persistent about her breathing. Everyone assured me I did the right thing. I voiced my concern exactly when I should have and we were keeping a close eye on her. It just wasn't enough. Sometimes these things happen, unfortunately.

It was sad. But I was amazed at how detached I was able to be. It was a huge bummer, but I was able to move on fairly quickly. There was nothing we could have done to save her. It all happened so fast. If we had done something wrong, I'm sure I would still be hanging onto it, but we did everything we were supposed to do. It just happens that way sometimes.

Bummer.

4 Comments:

Blogger Margaret said...

Man, that sounds like a hard job. You handled it so well. Good job and good job on learning everything.

June 10, 2009 at 10:11 PM  
Blogger jeanette said...

Man, that's a sad day, but at least you are getting the experience.

June 11, 2009 at 3:48 AM  
Blogger d.a.r. said...

Oh how sad!! I don't know that I could do what you do. I'd cry all the time or just bring all of the animals home with me!

June 11, 2009 at 5:14 AM  
Blogger J.J. Davell said...

Hey there from 20sb!!!! See, told ya I was comming :). Kudos to u, I don't think I could do it.

June 11, 2009 at 8:02 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home