<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: The first week is over

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Friday, June 12, 2009

The first week is over

Well, today was the last day of my first week as an extern.

It was great. I am learning so much...

But I'm concerned.

My site has an unlicensed tech doing tech work... very illegal. He is, basically, a vet assistant, but he is doing stuff only a tech is allowed to do. It's very unethical and very illegal.

They also have some iffy practices when it comes to surgery. We follow sterile procedure for a reason and it seems like too big a risk to bend the rules. I'm not sure how I feel about it.

I'm in a dilemma. If I tell my school (and by school I mean the woman in charge of externship placement) that this is going on, she is going to want to move me to a new site. This would be bad and I'll tell you why...

A lot of my friends have crappy sites who never let them do anything but clean. I don't want to be a wallflower. I want to do stuff and this site is letting me do everything. Every patient they say, "Hey Girl, want to learn something new?" I get to try all kinds of stuff. I get to do everything I am legally allowed to do (they would let me do stuff I'm not allowed to do, but I'm not into breaking laws and possibly losing my license before I get it).

I don't want to move sites. I don't want to miss my chance to do all this really cool stuff. But, ethically, it's sorta bad for me to stay. How to I work somewhere that is doing things incorrectly? How do I work somewhere that does everything we are told in school not to do? I love working there. Everyone is so nice and eager to teach me things. I know enough to know when they are teaching me incorrectly. Everything I do, I have already learned how to do in school, so I'm really just getting practical experience. I have common sense and a good head on my shoulders... I have made good mental notes on all the things that I can ignore. I have made mental notes on all the things that they do wrong. I'm not in danger of messing up my education or my practical experience.

i do eventually have to tell my school though. They can't keep sending students there. Some students, who shall remain nameless, are dumb as stumps. They will take this clinics word as gospel and will be learning things incorrectly. I can't let that happen, but I really don't want to say anything now. I want to wait until my externship is up...

I don't know what to do about this. It's an ethical conundrum.

3 Comments:

Blogger the girl said...

Hi Erin,

Sounds like you are in a really tricky situation. I applaud your strong sense of ethics, though, as this seems to make you the obviously stellar person you are.

How long will it be before your placement is finished? If it's only a little while, then perhaps it might be better for everyone if you discussed it with your externship coordinator when you're done. However, if you've still got quite a bit of time to go, it might be worth asking a (trusted) staff member at your extern placement facility what their general protocols are... Perhaps you could hint at it in a very indirect way, or play up your inexperience by asking about it as though you genuinely don't know what's going on, and that you're just trying to understand how things work. Not sure if this is making sense... Sorry!

Whatever you do, I'm sure it will be the most ethical decision you could possibly have made given the circumstances.

Best of luck

xo

June 13, 2009 at 2:42 AM  
Blogger d.a.r. said...

As much as you want to keep learning and having an awesome hands-on-environment, I really think you need to talk to someone about what is going on there. They are not only putting the animals' lives at risk, but they are also training other future vets to be unethical and possibly horrible vets. Sorry you are losing an opportunity to learn more and do more than clean, but I really think you have to say something!

June 13, 2009 at 5:11 AM  
Blogger jeanette said...

Man that sucks, hopefully something could be worked out where you don't get put at a crappy site, that's like being punished for doing the right thing. No good.

Good luck!

June 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home