<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Military Wife

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Sunday, May 17, 2009

Military Wife

I should be sleeping, but I'm not.

I am lying in bed. Thinking of my service to my country.

We do not get parades in our honor. We do not get metals for valor. We do not get saluted. But we serve our country along side our husbands.

The wives I know are some of the bravest people I have met. We are not running in to burning buildings, or taking fire behind enemy lines, but we are serving our country. Waiting out the contracts that our husbands signed.

The wives I know are stoic in their strength. They show no one their tears or their grief. They show no wavering in their support. Their hearts deploy along side their husbands. But they show the world no fear for his safety, just pride for his heroism.

They keep the home without help, they work without support, they keep a marriage going without a husband. They are both mother and father to their children. They are both maid and book keeper.

They do not ask for thanks. Many of our husbands have no idea how hard it really is on our side of a deployment. We never show them our pain.

The wives I know, sleep alone, live alone and are often the only wife in their city. We go though this alone. We do not have a military base full of supportive spouses. We have each other, though we live hours apart.

I admire the women I have met. They have a strength that most do not possess. They love their husbands in spite of coming second to the military. Their love never falters.

This is a life not many would chose and fewer would survive. But they survive. They keep going when most would give up. They are independent, but still depend on their absent husbands. They are cheerful, even when their heart is torn in two. They persevere.

Most importantly, they have to tell their husbands that they understand their need to deploy, even when they don't. They have to support it, even when they don't want to. They have to keep going, even when it's too much to bear.

Many people don't appreciate how hard it is to live this life. Most people think we did this to ourselves. Most people are secretly thinking, "I'm glad it's not my husband."

But we are proud that it's our husband. We are proud to stand up next to them. We are proud to be the ones that they come home to. We cherish our letters from Iraq. We know the joy of midnight phone calls to tell us they are safe. We know the importance of the simple pleasure of letters from home.

We would not trade our lives with anyone. There is a love for our country that many do not know. And a marriage that is stronger than most. We know that, if we can survive this, we can survive anything.

The wives I know are some of the best people I will ever know. I treasure my friendships with them. And I have new found respect for what it means to be a "Military Wife."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home