<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://www.aboyagirlandthemarinecorps.com

Sorry for the inconvenienceā€¦

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle: Hurray for surgery!

A Boy, A Girl, and The Marine Corps: A Love Triangle

"I cast my lot with a Marine and where he was, was home to me." ~ Anonymous.

Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Hurray for surgery!

So today was a pretty cool day at school...

School it's self was stressful and boring. We are getting ready for that test on instruments and it isn't going well for me. I am so confused. I am going to have to study my ass off to get it a good grade. So much in fact that I had to cancel dinner plans this Wed with my cousin so I can study instead. I'm really bummed about it.

But after school was surgery practicals. Every week we do surgery at school. Monday is intake day, when the new patients come in and get blood work done and stuff like that. Tues is Surgery day. Wed is a day of rest for the animal and Thursday they get to go home. We work with a few shelters to get the animals. We do the surgery for free in exchange for getting to practice our skills on animals.

So I like to stay and observe on surgery day. I'm not ready to be on a surgical team, but I love to watch and learn what there is to do and stuff. Well I was observing a surgery today and the doctor needed assistance. And she picked me! I had to hold a leg off while she removed a dew claw. I know it doesn't sound like much, but it was really cool. My hand started to cramp and she forgot to tell me to release my grip until she was almost done. But it was so neat to be right there and not just watching. It was so cool. I'm really excited for getting to watch more surgeries and starting to participate in them.

On a sad note, Puppy will be going in for surgery on the 7th of April. She has a staple in her that needs to be removed and some kind of sebacous gland, bizarre thing on her tummy that needs to be removed. The vet in charge of my program didn't know what it was, but agreed that the staple and the "thing" needed to be removed. I'm a little worried, since Puppy is sensitive to anesthesia. But I'm sure it will be ok.

The sad thing is, we took her into the vet and insisted that there was a staple left in her stomach and the vet insisted that it wasn't a staple! So now we are looking for a new vet. Bummer, I really liked our vet, but it isn't the first time we have had problems with her and this time we just can't over look it. It's a freaking staple for goodness sakes! How can you not see that. It's clear as day. So I took her into school and we are doing the surgery there. On the bright side, it will be for free! Can't beat that.

So that was my awesome day! I got to assist on a real surgery.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home